Many of us have been down, in my opinion, one of the most difficult roads, the road of heartbreak after losing the person we truly loved. But trust me, even after such a loss, you can find the light at the end of the tunnel.
To prove it to you, I’ve found the most beautiful quotes online and compiled them into this collection of lost love quotes.
Losing a loved one is a way God wants to make you stronger or to simply test how strong you really are and how much you’re able to endure.
You’re heartbroken. You’re hurting. But now is when you need to prove to yourself and everyone around you that you’re so much stronger than they think.
You need to believe in God and His will and put all of your hope in Him.
You need to gather all those broken pieces of your poor, fragile heart and glue them back together. You need to pick yourself back up and continue right from where you left off. You need to keep going.
Maybe my words won’t be enough to convince you that you need to leave it all behind, but I’m sure that this collection of lost love quotes will. So, scroll down for comfort and encouragement…
Deep Lost Love Quotes
Let’s start with this list of sad romantic love quotes. I hope it’ll help you find comfort and a way to cope with the immense pain of the heartbreak you’re currently going through.
1. “What the heart has once owned and had, it shall never lose.” – Henry Ward Beecher
2. “When it’s gone, you’ll know what a gift love was. You’ll suffer like this. So go back and fight to keep it.” – Ian McEwan
3. “Love becomes logically true when lost but still sought from the same source.” – Brian Celio
4. “Some things are just never meant to be, no matter how much we wish they were.” – Unknown
5. “In the arithmetic of love, one plus one equals everything, and two minus one equals nothing.” – Mignon McLaughlin
6. “Love is never lost. If not reciprocated, it will flow back and soften and purify the heart.” – Washington Irving
7. “I thought when love for you died, I should die. It’s dead. Alone, most strangely, I live on.” – Rupert Brooke
8. “I don’t know that love changes. People change. Circumstances change.” – Nicholas Sparks
9. “Between what is said and not meant, and what is meant and not said, most of love is lost.” – Kahlil Gibran
10. “Though lovers be lost, love shall not; And death shall have no dominion.” – Dylan Thomas
11. “The way to love anything is to realize that it might be lost.” – G. K. Chesterton
12. “Suddenly she realized that what she was regretting was not the lost past but the lost future, not what had not been but what would never be.” – F. Scott Fitzgerald
13. “The whole world can become the enemy when you lose what you love.” – Kristina McMorris
14. “Ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation.” – Kahlil Gibran
15. “I’ve lost love. I’ve tried to reclaim a lost love and didn’t know how to do it.” – Sam Worthington
16. “It’s amazing how someone can break your heart, and you can still love them with all the little pieces.” – Ella Harper
17. “Lost love is still love. It takes a different form.” – Mitch Albom
18. “The saddest thing about love is that not only that it cannot last forever, but that heartbreak is soon forgotten.” – William Faulkner.
19. “I have loved deeply. I have lost intensely. I will never love again. I get that love by people who care for me.” – Richard Simmons
20. “Better never to have met you in my dream than to wake and reach for hands that are not there.” – Otomo No Yakamochi
21. “You can love someone so much, but you can never love people as much as you miss them.” – John Green
22. “Walking alone is not difficult, but when we have walked a mile worth a thousand years with someone, then coming back alone is what is difficult.” – Faraaz Kazi
23. “I should know enough about the loss to realizing that you never really stop missing someone. You just learn to live around the huge gaping hole of their absence.” – Alyson Noel
24. “When you loved someone and had to let them go, there will always be that small part of yourself that whispers, ‘What was it that you wanted and why didn’t you fight for it?’” – Shannon L. Alder
25. “I don’t think until you’ve actually lost somebody you really love that you can go through that door that allows you to be grown-up.” – Felicity Kendal
26. “Sometimes, only one person is missing, and the whole world seems depopulated.” – Alphonse de Lamartine
Inspirational Quotes About Lost Love
You have to know one thing: not everyone or everything you lose is a loss. Sometimes it can actually be the greatest gain of your life, and sometimes, it can be life’s biggest lesson.
The following list of inspirational lost love quotes will confirm this. Also, these beautiful quotes will make you realize that, no matter how deep your pain is right now, you should be grateful and happy because you were lucky enough to experience true love.
1. “‘Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.” – Alfred Lord Tennyson
2. “Don’t cry because it’s over. Smile because it happened.” – Dr. Seuss
3. “To love and win is the best thing; to love and lose, the next best.” – William Thackeray
4. “If it is real, it will never be over.” – Unknown
5. “When love is lost, do not bow your head in sadness; instead keep your head up high and gaze into heaven for that is where your broken heart has been sent to heal.” – Unknown
6. “Celebrate endings—for they precede new beginnings.” – Jonathan Lockwood Huie
7. “If the people we love are stolen from us, the way to have them live on is to never stop loving them.” – James O’Barr
8. “Grief is the last act of love we can give to those we loved. Where there is deep grief, there was great love.” – Unknown
9. “In love, unlike most other passions, the recollection of what you have had and lost is always better than what you can hope for in the future.” – Stendhal
10. “A broken heart is just the growing pains necessary so that you can love more completely when the real thing comes along.” – J.S.B. Morse
11. “We never truly get over a loss, but we can move forward and evolve from it.” – Elizabeth Berrien
12. “Some people are going to leave, but that’s not the end of your story. That’s the end of their part in your story.” – Faraaz Kazi
13. “There can be no great love without great pain.” – Unknown
14. “As long as there is love and memory, there is no true loss.” – Cassandra Clare
15. “There can’t be a perfect replacement for those we lost, whom we love so much. But there’s always a kind replacement, strong and caring enough to take us through those lonely moments.” – Terry Mark
16. “Love isn’t there to make us happy. I believe it exists to show us how much we can endure.” – Hermann Hesse
17. “Don’t grieve. Anything you lose comes round in another form.” – Rumi
Long Lost Love Quotes
Below you’ll find the most comforting lost love quotes that will help you find comfort after your heartbreaking loss.
1. “People should not judge failed love affairs as failed experiences but as part of the growth process. Something does not have to end well for it to have been one of the most valuable experiences of a lifetime.” – Ethel Person
2. “I can write the saddest poem of all tonight. To think I don’t have her. To feel that I’ve lost her. To hear the immense night, more immense without her. And the poem falls to the soul as dew to grass.” – Pablo Neruda
3. “Falling in love is like holding a candle. Initially, it lightens up the world around you. Then it starts melting and hurts you. Finally, it goes off, and everything is darker than ever, and all you are left with is the… BURN!” – Syed Arshad
4. “Love never dies a natural death. It dies because we don’t know how to replenish its source. It dies of blindness and errors and betrayals. It dies of illness and wounds; it dies of weariness, of witherings, of tarnishings.” – Anais Nin
5. “All that remains to us when love and glory are over, when adventures and passions have faded into the past, is but a deeper and ever-deepening sense of the infinite; and if we have not that within us, then are we destitute indeed.” – Maurice Maeterlinck
6. “I have loved, and I have lost, and I’m starting to believe: it’s okay. Sometimes what we ‘think’ is best for us is only the beginning of what is truly ‘meant’ for us. And if I have loved, so deeply the wrong heart; I am content in knowing the greatest love I will ever experience, hasn’t even begun yet.” – Nikki Rowe
7. “I was never one to patiently pick up broken fragments and glue them together again and tell myself that the mended whole was as good as new. What is broken is broken – and I’d rather remember it as it was at its best than mend it and see the broken places as long as I lived.” – Margaret Mitchell
8. “The great love is gone. There are still little loves – friend to friend, brother to sister, student to teacher. Will you deny yourself comfort at the hearthfire of a cottage because you may no longer sit by the fireplace of a palace? Will you deny yourself to those who reach out to you in hopes of warming themselves at your hearthfire?” – Mercedes Lackey
9. “My heart might be bruised, but it will recover and become capable of seeing the beauty of life once more. It’s happened before, it will happen again, I’m sure. When someone leaves, it’s because someone else is about to arrive – I’ll find love again.” – Paulo Coelho
10. “You will lose someone you can’t live without, and your heart will be badly broken, and the bad news is that you never completely get over the loss of your beloved. But this is also the good news. They live forever in your broken heart that doesn’t seal back up. And you come through. It’s like having a broken leg that never heals perfectly – that still hurts when the weather gets cold, but you learn to dance with the limp.” – Anne Lamott
11. “I know that’s what people say– you’ll get over it. I’d say it, too. But I know it’s not true. Oh, you’ll be happy again, never fear. But you won’t forget. Every time you fall in love, it will be because something in the man reminds you of him.” – Betty Smith
12. “Then I said goodnight and tucked you away inside a place called Nostalgia, where you’ll always remain unspoiled, somewhere between my lungs that used to breathe ocean air and my belly that fluttered with hope.” – Victoria Erickson
13. “This is not a goodbye, my darling; this is a thank you. Thank you for coming into my life and giving me joy. Thank you for loving me and receiving my love in return. Thank you for the memories I will cherish forever. But most of all, thank you for showing me that there will come a time when I can eventually let you go.” – Nicholas Sparks
14. “What interests me is whatever it is that allows the heart to continue to yearn for something the intelligence knows is impossible to have: a lost love, a shelter from life’s blows, the return of a time past, even a connection to the dead.” – Alice McDermott
15. “Everyone keeps telling me that time heals all wounds, but no one can tell me what I’m supposed to do right now. Right now, I can’t sleep. It’s right now that I can’t eat. Right now, I still hear his voice and sense his presence even though I know he’s not here. Right now, all I seem to do is cry. I know all about time and wounds healing, but even if I had all the time in the world, I still don’t know what to do with all this hurt right now.” – Nina Guilbeau
16. “All the most powerful emotions come from chaos – fear, anger, love – especially love. Love is chaos itself. Think about it! Love makes no sense. It shakes you up and spins you around. And then, eventually, it falls apart.” – Kirsten Miller
Lost Loved One Quote
Losing a loved one is like someone ripping your heart out of your chest. It leaves you with a deep wound and a gaping hole that can never be filled or cured.
However, you need to know that you aren’t the only one that is going through heartbreak. You aren’t the only one who is trying to cope with such intense pain.
Some people choose to deal with it all alone, and some choose to share their experience with other people. Let’s see what some of them said about it.
1. “Remembering our loved ones is breathing life into their fading images, that we might once more see their faces and pass along a tearful ‘I miss you.’” – Richelle E. Goodrich
2. “You don’t know who is important to you until you actually lose them.” – Mahatma Gandhi
3. “When we lose someone we love, we must learn not to live without them, but to live with the love they left behind.” – Anonymous
4. “What we have once enjoyed we can never lose. All that we love deeply becomes a part of us.” – Helen Keller
5. “When you experience loss, people say you’ll move through the 5 stages of grief….
Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression, Acceptance….. What they don’t tell you is that you’ll cycle through them all every day.” – Ranata Suzuki
6. “Everyone copes differently; some cry for the loss of a loved one, others smile because they know they’ll see them again.” – Unknown
7. “You realize how much you love someone once that someone is gone… gone forever, and you are filled with regret and sadness.” – Ama H. Vanniarachchy
8. “Never. We never lose our loved ones. They accompany us; they don’t disappear from our lives. We are merely in different rooms.” – Paulo Coelho
9. “There are no goodbyes for us. Wherever you are, you will always be in my heart.” – Mahatma Gandhi
10. “The Remembrance of the good done by those we have loved is the only consolation when we have lost them.” – Demoustier
11. “Where you used to be, there is a hole in the world, which I find myself constantly walking around in the daytime and falling in at night. I miss you like hell.” – Edna St. Vincent Millay
12. “If you ever lose someone dear to you, never say the words they’re gone. They’ll come back.” – Prince
13. “No matter how prepared you think you are for the death of a loved one, it still comes as a shock, and it still hurts very deeply.” – Billy Graham
14. “Love is stronger than death even though it can’t stop death from happening, but no matter how hard death tries, it can’t separate people from love. It can’t take away our memories either. In the end, love is stronger than death.” – Unknown
15. “Those we love and lose are always connected by heartstrings into infinity.” – Terri Guillemets
16. “There are some who bring a light so great to the world that even after they have gone, the light remains.” – Unknown
17. “When you lose someone you love, you gain an angel you know.” – Unknown
Motivational Quotes About Moving On
We had enough of these sad quotes about lost love. Now, I want to lift you up a bit and motivate you to leave it all behind.
As hard as it sounds, sooner or later, you’ll have to understand that letting go and moving on is the only option you have if you want to save yourself.
And moving on truly requires strength and courage. In a way, you’re accepting to live your life in the dark. You aren’t sure if you will ever be able to heal completely, but you don’t let it prevent you from moving forward with your life.
1. “The sorrow we feel when we lose a loved one is the price we pay to have had them in our lives.” – Rob Liano
2. “Sigh no more, ladies, sigh no more. Men were deceivers ever. One foot in sea and one on shore. To one thing constant never.” – William Shakespeare
3. “That’s all you can do in this world, no matter how strong the current beats against you, or how heavy your burden, or how tragic your love story. You keep going.” – Robyn Schneider
4. “The truth is, unless you let go, unless you forgive yourself, unless you forgive the situation, unless you realize that the situation is over, you cannot move forward.” – Steve Maraboli
5. “A dream you once were, a dream of all my realities, a dream I can no longer strive for, in the wake of many betrayals.” – C. Elizabeth
6. “Holding on is believing that there’s only a past; letting go is knowing that there’s a future.” – Daphne Rose Kingma
7. “You will find that it is necessary to let things go, simply for the reason that they are heavy. So let them go, let go of them. I tie no weights to my ankles.” – C. JoyBell C.
8. “The most difficult aspect of moving on is accepting that the other person already did.” – Faraaz Kazi
9. “Cry. Forgive. Learn. Move on. Let your tears water the seeds of your future happiness.” – Steve Maraboli
10. “There are things that we never want to let go of, people we never want to leave behind. But keep in mind that letting go isn’t the end of the world, it’s the beginning of a new life.” –Unknown
11. “Moving on is easy. It’s staying moved on that’s trickier.” – Katerina Stoykova Klemer
12. “One of the hardest lessons in life is letting go. Whether it’s guilt, anger, love, loss, or betrayal. Change is never easy. We fight to hold on, and we fight to let go.” – Unknown
13. “I’ve been burdened with blame, trapped in the past for too long, I’m moving on.” – Rascal Flatts
14. “True love doesn’t have a happy ending because true love never ends. Letting go is one way of saying, ‘I love you.’” – Barbara Johnson
15. “To be able to move on, one has to learn to forgive not only the person (or people) who have done one wrong but also oneself.” – Eugenia Tripputi
16. “Some of us think holding on makes us strong, but sometimes it is letting go.” – Hermann Hesse
17. “It happens to everyone as they grow up. You find out who you are and what you want, and then you realize that people you’ve known forever don’t see things the way you do. So you keep the wonderful memories, but find yourself moving on.” – Nicholas Sparks